Tuesday 26 November 2013

Get to Know You Interview ~ J.L. Weil






·  Biography

I am the author of New Adult & Young Adult Paranormal Romances novels including the Amazon Best Sellers Luminescence Trilogy and Divisa series.
Most of my books are for ages 16+. They usually have what I consider the good stuff - sexual content (oh yeah) and swearing. You have been warned ;)
I reside in the Windy City with my husband and our two awesome boys. I am a book lover of epic proportions and usually favor romances, fantasies, and happily ever after’s. I have a serious addiction to Love Pink clothes and raspberry mochas from Starbucks. (yum!)
To seal my geekdom, I am a gamergirl. Skyrim, Guild Wars 2, Call of Duty, my current game obsessions. My boys think I'm a newb. And I am a total camper and proud of it.
I hope you enjoy my world!!


Get to know you  interview

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Boredom and a glass of really good Italian wine. Just kidding. Well maybe a little boredom, and the wine didn't hurt. I have lived so much of my life inside a book, and I can't think of a better way to express imagination than writing. It is something that I love doing, and it consumes my thoughts. When I am not writing, I think about writing. Of course most of my ideas come at inconvenient times, like when I am driving or in the bath.


How long does it take you to write a book?

It usually takes me 2-3 months to write a book. Sometimes quicker, sometimes longer. It all depends on how fast the story unravels. I only write part-time as I have a full-time job, but I am still able to release around 4 books a year.


What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

Every spare moment I have, I dedicate to writing. I write every day, whether it is 500 words or 5000 words. I always make a priority to write something.


What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I don't think that I write traditionally. Meaning, I think there is this perception that authors write stories from the beginning to the end. Well, not me. I write all over the place. If I get struck with an idea for a scene I will write it down, right then and there (even if I have to pull over on the side of the road, which has happened on more than one occasion). I tend to write in scenes and not all of them make it into the book.


How do you plan to publish? (self or publisher)

I currently self-publish my Divisa series. The Luminescence Trilogy is being published by Nevermore Press.


Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

Umm, I do a ton of daydreaming. Actually, I sleep with a notebook and a pen on my nightstand. There have been many times I've woken up and scratched something down. The fun part is trying to decipher it in the morning.


When did you write your first book and how old were you?

I wrote my first book in my 20's and just sat on it. About 5 years later, I decided to revisit the story and I ended up with Luminescence, my first book.


What do you like to do when you're not writing?

It feels like I am always writing ;) I like to go shopping, watch movies, and lose myself in someone else's story. I tend to be an obsessive reader. I will read a book cover to cover in the same day, even if it means I stay up all night and no one in my house gets fed.


What does your family think of your writing?

My family is super supportive. They are the best!


What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

I still can't believe that people read what I write. It's still surreal.


How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

Currently I have written 4 books, 2 Novellas. My favorite so far would be Hunting Angel. Writing about Chase & Angel is effortless and so much fun!


Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?

Read. Read. Read. As many books as you can in the genre that interests you. Don't stop writing just because you hear no a thousand times. It only takes one yes or one reader to make it all worth while.


Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

I love it when readers email, tweet me, or leave comments on my blog. It is what keeps me writing honestly. They have given me the courage to keep going when they tell me how much they have enjoyed the characters, or want to know when the next book is coming out. That is the number one question. I wish I could get them out faster for the readers!


Do you like to create books for adults?

Hmm. I have never written an adult book. I really love Teen and New Adult. I think there is something breathtaking about young love, and I really think my style of writing is geared more toward younger readers. I'm still young at heart myself.


What do you think makes a good story?

A really hot, mouth-watering bad boy. I am a sucker for them. The more possessive and snarky, the better. Lots of kissing and stuff, if you get my drift. I also like my heroine to be sassy and empowering.


As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

 I wanted to be a dancer like one of the fly-girls on In Living Color. (I just totally dated myself there)





Social Media:














No comments:

Post a Comment