Sunday 8 September 2013

Justine Elvira ~ Get to know you interview

1.             When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? I've been writing ever since I can remember. It's a form of release for me. I decided I wanted to try and publish about a year ago. I wanted to do something for myself and writing seemed like the perfect fit. I worked on it in my spare time and it was something just for me.

2.             How long does it take you to write a book?
Several months. I play around with the idea in my head for a month or two before I even start writing. I'm constantly changing things around and seeing what works, and what doesn't. Then I take another few months writing my story. I usually write first thing in the morning or after my kids got to sleep. Last, I take a few months editing. This is where are the grammar errors get fixed and my editor helps me tweak parts of my story:)
3.             What is your work schedule like when you're writing? I write for an hour or two in the morning, Then, I'm with my kids and working my regular 9-5, Once my kids go to sleep, I start writing again. It could be for 30 minutes or five hours, depending on if the story is coming to me or not.

4.             What would you say is your interesting writing quirk? No matter what time of the day it is, I have to have a cup of coffee before I start typing. It soothes me and relaxes me before I get into the heads of my characters.

5.             How do you plan to publish? I think I will always self-publish. When you self-publish, you set the schedule. It's on your terms and I love that. I have a crazy life. My kids keep me busy so I write when I can. I like controlling every aspect of the process. Self-publishing make this journey truly yours.

6.             Where do you get your information or ideas for your books? I have such a crazy imagination. I've made up stories for as long as I can remember. My parents fought a lot when I was growing up.I can remember my brother sneaking into the room my sister and I shared. We would sit there and wait for the fighting to stop. During these times I would create these alternate lives in my head. It was my way of escape. Now as an adult, I put the stories to paper.
7.             When did you write your first book and how old were you? I was nine and in fourth grade. It was 19 pages long and was about how I was a famous softball player married to Andrew Keegan. Yeah, I dreamed big.

8.             What do you like to do when you're not writing? All of my free time is spent with my kids. My daughter is nine and she is my best friend. Seriously. My son is eight and the number one man in my life. I know it's cliche, but they make my life complete.

9.             What does your family think of your writing? I come from a very religious family so most of them do not know what I write. The few that do are very supportive and love my work:)

10.             What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books? How amazingly supportive other authors are. I'm in a few different groups and whether the other authors have sold one copy of their book or are a NYT and USA Today best selling author, the indie community is always there to help. It is astonishing:) I've gotten some great advice and support. These women mean the world to me.

11.             How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?I've published two and am about to publish my third. I've written around twenty though. Truthfully, I love them all but my favorite is my upcoming release Lawful Overdose. I hired a new editor with this book and I absolutely love my male lead, Jaxson.

12.             Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they? Write what comes naturally. The story will come to you. Also, research the indie process! That was my biggest mistake when I first published. I didn't do enough research on the ins and outs of indie publishing.I've learned so much since then. Their is endless amounts of information available to you. 

13.             Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say? I do. I get a lot of messages online or emails. I tend to hear all the positive feedback. I haven't had anyone personally contact me with negative feedback or comments. My readers are amazingly supportive. I have read a few negative reviews and fortunately for me, they were very informative and have helped me progress as a writer. I think a bad review can ultimately be helpful as long as the reviewer gives you honest feedback. If they are hating just to hate, no one wins with that.

14.             Do you like to create books for adults? Yes. I love adult contemporary romance books, new-sdult, and erotica. Basically, I write what I love to read. I think most women enjoy love stories. They want an escape with a sexy male lead. These books are our "Once upon a times' and "Happily ever afters'. The books I read don't have to have a bunch of sex scened for me to enjoy it, but I do love steamy sex scenes and I love to write them for my readers.

15.             What do you think makes a good story? If it flows and isn't forced. There are very few books I do not love. Most writers write what comes naturally and it flows, which is why I love almost everything I read, even if it isn't what I'm used to reading. If it seems forced, thats when it because a harder read for me.

16.             As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up? I wanted to be an actress and win an Oscar. Think Teenie in the movie Now and Then. Now, I can just write that kind of character and I feel fulfilled. I honestly can't imagine doing anything else other than writing.






Lawful Overdose synopsis
*Warning: This book is for mature audiences. It contains drugs, sex, underage drinking, harsh language, and is panty melting hot! 

Since the death of her sister, Tessa Grayson is invisible at home. Her parents barely speak to her or show any affection, so Tessa seeks affection from men. 

It’s the summer going into Tessa’s junior year of college. Instead of going home for the summer, she stays in her small college town with her best friend and roommate, Piper. To make money, Tessa and Piper waitress at a local bar and grill. It’s a hotspot for college kids and a few townies. 

On her first night working after a depressing visit with her parents, she meets Jaxon Wyatt. Jaxon just transferred to Eastern for his senior year of college to be closer to his brother. He is mysterious and badass, exactly what Tessa wants, but is trying to stay away from.

After a night of wild partying, Tessa is looking to get lost in Jaxon. Their attraction is undeniable, but Jaxon wants more. Jaxon and Tessa become closer, but he is hiding a secret. A secret that could break the bond he and Tessa share. 

What will happen when Tessa finds out that Jaxon isn’t who he claims to be? Can Tessa continue a relationship with someone who supports everything she’s against, or does Jaxon have one more secret up his sleeve?

* Recommended for 18 years and older.

~Justine Elvira


No comments:

Post a Comment