Thursday 12 September 2013

Get to know you Interview ~ Danielle Torella





  1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I honestly never had an ambition to write; actually I sucked in English class! I wasn't a BIG reader until I read Twilight, which gave me the biggest book hangover of the century and didn't read for a few years. Then I read Fifty Shades … Oh My! I was and am now a very avid reader! But I didn't start writing until I had a dream one night and the scene just stuck with me. I couldn't get it out of my head, so I took notes and started writing.

  1. How long does it take you to write a book?

For the first full rough draft, before any editing it took me roughly four weeks. The editing is what took the longest, along with the marketing and cover design.

  1. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

Well I am a stay at home mom of two young boys, one of which is home all day long. So finding time to just sit and write can be a challenge, but I find that night time is the right time for me.

  1. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I get giddy. No seriously, I will laugh at my own stuff and I even get angry at my characters. My husband thinks I am insane, because I tell everyone that I don’t control the characters, but they control me and the story. I let it just flow, I don’t plan per se.

  1. How do you plan to publish? (self or publisher)

I am self-published and it is a lot of work. You don’t have a company marketing you, you have to do it all yourself and that takes a lot of time and energy but I believe it’s worth it in the end. Yes, it would be amazing to get published, but I am enjoying the indie world!

  1. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

Well, like I said I had a dream one night and that is what started Private Message. I also get motivated by the music I listen to, I have written scenes that were inspired by specific songs.

  1. When did you write your first book and how old were you?

I started writing Private Message and published it when I was 26 and I am still 26.

  1. What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I do A LOT of painting! Most of my work is book inspired and I get requests from readers, asking me to paint something from their favorite books. I have also been asked by authors to do work for them! That is a huge honour! But I also like to read and listen to music, go to concerts and so on. I am also a tattoo and piercing addict! I also love spending time with my husband and boys.

  1. What does your family think of your writing?

I have a lot of support! I am grateful for that. But it can be a little weird when they read it! Especially my Mom! Can you say awkward?!

  1. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

It’s not cheap! If you want a good book, you have to be ready to pay the costs. Editing and book design can add up pretty fast. But another thing is all the friends you get to make in the process! I have made some of the best of friends through writing.

  1. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I have only written the one so far, but I am currently working on its sequel: Private Show which I hope to release sometime in December.

  1. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?

Don’t stress when writing, just let it flow and let it happen. Get involved with writing groups on Facebook, you can meet some great women and a few men in those groups who are there for you and love to help new authors on their journey.

  1. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

I do! I get messages on my personal Facebook page and my author page. They tell me that they loved the book and ask when or if there is going to be a sequel. It is so much fun to interact with someone who has read your book…also nerve wracking!

  1. Do you like to create books for adults?

My book is for adults and contains mature content. Private Message has sex scenes and profanity, I am not ashamed of it and I have a lot of fun writing it.

  1. What do you think makes a good story?

Relatable characters, this doesn’t have to be the main characters either, but secondary characters also. Conflict is a must! My editor will get on my case if there isn’t enough conflict, I think if there isn’t enough the reader can get bored quickly.

  1. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

Oh it always changed! I was never dead set on being one thing. And I think that has carried through into my adulthood.




No comments:

Post a Comment